Monday, September 08, 2008

I need some quiet

They tried to take away our right to play music in our cars indicating loss of concentration during driving. But there is no noise about us being subject to loudpeakers of varying decible levels during festivals and processions. Now there are so many processions for different festivals (I dont want to name them. I might be subject to lynching by the "religious" people). Each tries to outdo the other leading to more noise, bigger and never ending processions. Are these not disturbing? It not only disturbs the traffic but also your mental frame of mind. Their is so much noise all around that you just want to run away somewhere far where there is no noise. To top that your friendly rickshawala will put on his dhinchak music on his music system.The rate at which noise pollution is increasing everyday in the city, Bombay will soon be a city of deaf people.
Processions have the loudest radios and bands during these processions and traffic comes to a standstill and there is honking adding to the chaos
Maybe like the West, we should have the concept of celebrating festivals during long weekends when everyone is given a holiday. This way you can escape many of these things by staying put in your house.

Bombay is considered the financial captital, the city where dreams come true (though now there are more cities where you can make your dreams come true, if your aspiration is not Bollywood). But the city is not livable. The basic infrastructure should be in place. It should not be a struggle to live, work, travel or maintain sanity. We should have a right to these things.

6 comments:

A Random Traveler said...

Noise pollution. In Bangalore, the sick noise of autorickshaws that run on illegal oil is too much. It used to be a big issue. But policemen corrupt! What to do.

Its too silent in the west. Its too noisy in our place..I wonder which is livable.? Too much silence is too depressing isnt it?

Vidya said...

Yes too much silence does get to you. But I would prefer silence to these sick noises

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Hey Vids,

I've been there too when in Mumbai. There were times even when I was inside my flat, I used to plug my ears with cotton for the luxury of silence. But didn't work!

But ironically, here in London, it's difficult to fall asleep in the fanless rooms here without the familiar I-am-there-with-you whizzing sound of the ceiling fan!

Samrat said...

Yes, noise pollution is definitely a much ignored issue. It definitely leads to high stress and myriad other problems.

6 months of living near the Kanjurmarg local station in Bombay really was the pits for me in terms of noise pollution.

Agree with Priya, the lack of the familiar whirring sound of the ceiling fan is sorely missed in most Western countries.
Reminds me of the scene in Pushpak where Kamlahasan records the sounds of the stray dogs from his slum to replay them in his 5 star hotel room as he is unable to sleep :)

Girl With Big Eyes said...

Come on, speak up!
http://girlwithbigeyes.blogspot.com/2008/09/love-tag.html

DeepakS said...

Its a love-hate relationship with silence and noise. You want always want the one you dont have.
I went to an underground meditation centre once and the silence completely freaked me out. I thought i had gone deaf or sumthing. I cud actually hear ringing in my ear. Maybe it was because of all the noise i have endured so far :)
But i ran.. :D